Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Herb cookageness ;)
















Wonder

We are growing the herbs because we want to live in a more sustainable way but to do that we cant just grow the herbs we have to do more. We
 looked for recipes that had one or more of our herbs in it. Then we brought the herbs home and used them to make a delicious meal. Some people asked Why? or Whats the point? it might be hard to see at first but there is a reason. We were reading this book called My Ishmael that has a main theme to it which just so happens to 
be living a more sustainable life. We took what he was saying and did our own research on how we can live better. We used the information we found to make reports on them and after it was all finished we decided to try it ourselves. This also connected to our essential questions for the beginning of the reports: 'Why don’t people live more sustainably?' and 'How can I convince them to do so?' The reason it connects to the first question is because we found out why people wouldn't live more sustainably the reason being its a lot of work but we
ll worth it in the end. The reason it connects to the other question is because we can convince people to live this other way by showing them the rewards of doing it the way we do it so they become more interested in it themselves.

Process
First we planted the herbs as a class and once they were big enough to harvest we did. We took them home to cook a meal. My meal was a pasta sauce that I got from http://www.osagegardens.com/lemonbasil.html but I had changed a few things.

QUICK FRESH TOMATO SAUCE

 WITH LEMON BASIL
Perfect for quick and tasty meals. Serve over chicken, pasta, tofu, fish or rice.

3 ripe red tomatoes (the best available), pee

led, seeded and roughly chopped 
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 package lemon basil
Heat oil in fry pan. Add garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds to a minute, being careful not to brown. Add tomatoes with their juice. Season and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add chopped basil and serve immediately. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to one week.

I used fresh lemon basil and i also blended after I stir fried it to make it more creamy.

Presentation



Reflection

When I finally finished cooking my pasta sauce with lemon basil I was a little afraid to try it to be honest but when I build up the courage to try it I found out it didn't taste half bad. The only think I would have changed is that I would have put less tomatoes in it or maybe add some meat to make meat balls. This whole experience change the way I feel about growing my own herbs and using them in my meal making at home. I feel like I might do start growing something in my backyard but I haven't completely decided yet. I think I will be planting strawberries or another fruit in my yard because I eat more fruits then veggies.

6 comments:

Taylor said...

Lol, I love the picture of the final product with the two herbs in the middle. It looked really professional and cool! I also like that you brought My Ishmael into the subject to answer one of the questions!

annalisa'sblog said...

I love all of the pictures of the recipes. Good job!

Anonymous said...

omg good job!!
this looks really good i like how you took pictures of the process of it!!
good job!! i agree with taylor the picture at the end looks really good lol!!! hahaha

Giovanna said...

HEy shoshannah! :). YUM! your food looks really good i wanna try it to. It looked like you had lots of fun making your food. And it looked simple and good. I'd like you to make me some :) just kidding. Good Job!

Joe Kester said...

I liked the line of pictures to draw us in, before you even said anything. You also did an overall good job explaining the steps and everything about the recipie. Nicely done.

Dominic said...

Hey shoshannah, I love how you described all the way back to when we planted the herbs!!

great job!!